A list of jobs and employment opportunities at libraries throughout the Southern Adirondack Library System.
BANCROFT PUBLIC LIBRARY LIBRARY
DIRECTOR JOB DESCRIPTION AND QUALIFICATIONS
General Statement of Duties:
The Library Director shall be the Executive Officer of the Library, and shall have charge of the administration of the Library under the direction and review of the Board of Trustees. The Director shall administer, direct and conduct the services and programs subject to the policies, goals and objectives set by the Board of Trustees. The Director shall be responsible for the care of the Library and equipment; for the employment and direction of the staff; for following the library’s mission and policies in providing services and resources to the public; and for the operation of the Library under the financial conditions contained in the Annual Budget.
- Selecting and ordering materials and supplies
- Cataloging new books and other circulating materials
- Weeding out old, damaged, and/or unused materials
- Covering all hours the Library is open, if necessary
- Submitting signed time sheets for all staff members to the Library Treasurer
- Submitting all receipts, invoices, financial statements, etc. to the Library Treasurer
- Reconciling fines and fees collected each week and delivering to the Library Treasurer
- Directing and supervising the expenditure of Library funds
- Acquiring and supervising volunteer help, as needed
- Keeping in touch with the public via the Library’s website, newsletter, social media, and local newspapers
- Staying on top of what is happening in the Southern Adirondack Library System (SALS), in terms of new requirements, latest developments, new technologies, etc.
- Attending all Board meetings, except the portion of the meetings at which the Director’s appointment or salary is to be discussed or decided
- Creating and presenting to the Board monthly written reports of library activity and any information about which the Board should be apprised
- Submitting to the Board recommendations of such policies and procedures which, in the opinion of the Director, will improve the efficiency and quality of library service
- Making budgetary recommendations to the Board during the annual budget writing process
- Completing the Library’s Annual Report to the New York State Education Department, which includes collecting the necessary data throughout the year
- Seeking out, creating and maintaining a robust slate of programs in accordance with the Library’s Long Range Plan
- All other duties necessary for the normal, day-to-day operations of the Library
Required knowledge, skills, and abilities:
- Knowledge of library techniques
- Knowledge of library administrative practices
- Computer competence, Microsoft Windows, Word, Excel, PDF, etc.
- Skilled in website and social media maintenance
- Ability to carry out library policies
- Ability to comprehend patrons’ needs quickly and accurately, and to offer assistance with those needs
- Ability to express oneself clearly and concisely, both orally and in writing
- Initiative in making constructive suggestions for improvements in services and book collection
- Ability to bend and reach while shelving
- Ability to lift and move up to 25 pounds
Good judgment Qualifications:
Bancroft Public Library is an equal opportunity employer and this position is subject to Washington County Civil Service. This position is non-competitive with no exam involved. According to the NY State Minimum Public Library Standards, the required education level for the Library Director is at least two academic years of full-time study in an approved college or university or its equivalent, as the population Bancroft Public Library serves is fewer than 5,000 people.
For more information and to apply please visit: https://www.bancroftlibrary.org/news/bancroft-public-library-seeks-new-director/
Deadline: June 30th