A list of jobs and employment opportunities at libraries throughout the Southern Adirondack Library System.
MVLS / SALS JOINT AUTOMATION PROJECT
Position: Programmer Analyst
Work as a member of the Joint Automation (JA) Project staff to provide library automation and computer support to the 48 member libraries of the Mohawk Valley and Southern Adirondack Library Systems. This position reports to the Software Engineer / Systems Administrator.
Assist and serve as a backup to the Software Engineer / Systems Administrator in the following areas:
- Enhance, maintain and support the integrated library system (ILS) in a hosted environment – including library level customization, new product releases, web-based reports, and the web-based online public access catalog (PAC). Document all customizations and options. Work with the vendor to suggest improvements and enhancements to their product.
- Act as the liaison to the ILS vendor for communication regarding the ILS, upgrades, problems and enhancements.
- Work with 3rd party vendors for authentication against the ILS including SIP2 and SSH, configuring and debugging issues.
- Work with Quipu for support and enhancements to the eCard patron registration and patron self-registration interfaces.
- Maintain and upgrade the JA call tracking software (SysAid) and assist with configuration.
- Provide consulting to member libraries for RFID (radio-frequency identification) and self-check projects from planning to implementation.
- Participate in planning, implementation and maintenance for servers in a hosted environment.
- Scripting interfaces to Microsoft Active Directory.
- Perform Microsoft Office 365 development and administration for sites and applications. Become proficient in OneDrive, SharePoint and Power App technologies.
- Perform website administration and support for member libraries and systems.
- Enhance and maintain the JA Intranet with emphasis on improving communication with and learning opportunities for member library staff.
Other duties to include but not limited to:
- Write technical documentation for member library and system staff and revise existing documentation to clarify and standardize.
- Monitor web usage and provide statistics for management reporting.
- Test software accessibility and functionality from a variety of environments.
- Write reports, scripts and web interfaces as needed using SQL, Powershell, ASP, XML, HTML and other platforms.
- Perform routine administration tasks, including monitoring SQL jobs and operating system scheduled tasks.
- Independently recognize and resolve software, network and hardware problems; effectively solve problems and take the lead in issue resolution.
- Write and maintain documentation for all work.
- Keep current with emerging technologies.
- Work independently and as a team member on a variety of projects and problem resolutions, from planning stages through implementation.
- Update standard network, Cassie and PC documentation and support call database to record changes made and tasks performed.
- Provide telephone, e-mail and on-site support to member library staff, system staff and public users on the integrated library automation software, MVLS/SALS web catalog and online databases, Cassie and any other applications and/or technical topics and issues.
- Monitor daily backups on all MVLS/SALS servers.
- Monitor backups on all MVLS/SALS servers one weekend per month and occasional nights and/or weekends running essential operational jobs.
- Monitor evening and weekend network outages one week per month.
- Occasional evening and/or weekend work required
- May require lifting up to 50 lbs.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Experience / Qualifications:
- Ability to conceptualize and communicate complex projects and solutions.
- Ability to manage multiple projects simultaneously.
- 2 or more years experience with Microsoft Visual Studio.
- 2 or more years experience with Microsoft SQL Server and Microsoft Transact-SQL.
- Experience with current development tools.
- Experience with Web 2.0 technologies, especially in a library setting.
- Experience with form and report design.
- Associates degree in Computer / Information Science or equivalent certificate, training or experience.
- Excellent oral, telephone and written communications skills, including the ability to effectively communicate with library staff having varying technology skills.
- Analytical and problem-solving skills and careful attention to detail.
- New York State driver’s license.
New York State sponsored health insurance and retirement programs. Generous sick, personal and vacation days.
Monday-Friday, 8:30 – 4:30 on site at 22 Whitney Place Saratoga Springs. On call evenings and weekends approximately one week per month. Occasional additional evenings and/or weekend hours as needed.
The Mohawk Valley Library System is a state-funded, cooperative public library system serving public libraries in Fulton, Montgomery, Schenectady and Schoharie Counties.
The Southern Adirondack Library System is a state-funded, cooperative public library system serving public libraries in Hamilton, Saratoga, Warren and Washington Counties. SALS is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
How to Apply:
To apply, please send resume to firstname.lastname@example.org by June 20th.