A list of jobs and employment opportunities at libraries throughout the Southern Adirondack Library System.
Town of Ballston Community Library
Head of Youth Services, Librarian II
Youth Services Department
General Statement of Duties:
Under the supervision of the Library Director of the Town of Ballston Community Library this position focuses on providing library services to children and teens ages 0-18. Participates in library leadership team and supervises paraprofessional staff.
Provides library service to children, teens and adults, including managing a busy Youth Services department; prepares for and conducts story times and other youth programs; responsible for maintaining the department’s collections; promotes use of library materials and services; performs outreach to schools and community agencies as needed; oversees a robust summer reading program; and performs other duties as assigned. Responsible for the library supervision in the absence of the Director and Head of Adult Services Librarian and directly supervises paraprofessional staff.
Required Skills and Abilities:
Passion for and knowledge of children’s and young adult literature; familiarity with current library technologies; the ability to perform both independently and as a team member; experience in planning and conducting children’s programming; excellent customer service and communication skills; enthusiasm, courtesy, flexibility and a sense of humor.
Knowledge of Polaris integrated library system, WordPress, Evanced, Beanstack, graphic design or marketing experience.
A Master’s Degree in Librarianship from a library school that is accredited by the American Library Association or registered by the NYS Education Department AND two (2) years of professional library experience.
Eligibility for New York State Public Librarian’s Professional Certificate at the time of application for appointment. Possession of certificate at the time of appointment. Position will be filled provisionally pending the results of a
Civil Service exam to be given at a later date
35 hours a week, including one evening a week and rotating Saturdays. Salary exempt position. Expected start of March 2021.
$47,500 – $51,500 plus benefits.
Deadline: Until filled
Please submit cover letter, resume and three professional references to:
Rebecca Verhayden Darling, Director
Town of Ballston Community Library
2 Lawmar Lane, Burnt Hills, NY 12027
(518) 399-8174 ext. 5
Town of Chester Library
- The Library is seeking applications for a Library Aide.
- 20 hour week.
- Duties include circulation,
- and social media management.
Requirements include a high school diploma or equivalent, familiarity with computer and mobile device use, willingness to work Saturdays and some evenings.
Send resume to Library Director, PO Box 451, Chestertown, NY 12817. 518-494-5384.
A 20 hour per week position with availability for Saturday and/or evening hours as necessary.
- Check in library materials and process delivery
- Shelve library materials
- Assist in maintaining orderly collection in proper Dewey Decimal order
- Prepare new materials for shelf. Bar-coding, labeling and covering, obtain marc records if necessary.
- Provide assistance to volunteers on procedure and technology when necessary.
- Oversee maintenance of library book displays.
- Provide computer and printer assistance.•Assist in set up for various library events
- Assist patrons with ILL requests and reference questions.
- Organize and oversee Summer Reading Challenge Contest.
- Be familiar with access and use of: library email, website, overdrive program, and SALS patron online catalogue (PAC). Assist patrons in their use.
- Collect materials from drop box
- Assist in use of copy and fax machine
- Monitor condition of public bulletin board
- Keep circulation desk in order and stocked with necessary materials.
- Where applicable maintain daily reckoning of cash drawer.
- Maintain pandemic sanitation procedures and guidelines.
- Participate in yearly staff education related to technology.
- Knowledge of basic computer skills including word processing, image editing, graphics and social media.
- Basic use of mobile devices.
Amended December, 2020