A list of jobs and employment opportunities at libraries throughout the Southern Adirondack Library System.
LIBRARY DIRECTOR, Part-Time
Grafton Community Library
Grafton Community Library, a small rural free association library located in eastern Rensselaer County, seeks an energetic, creative individual for the position of Library Director.
This is a part-time position scheduled to work 24 hours per week, including some evenings and Saturdays.
The position requires a candidate who is a team leader who can work together with an experienced staff, the library board, and local community groups. The position requires a candidate with excellent communication, interpersonal, and computer skills.
Experience in library collection and program development, staff and volunteer supervision, and facility management is highly desirable.
A degree in library science or a related field will be considered a plus, as will fundraising and grant writing skills.
Starting salary is $20,000.
A copy of the job description is available on the library’s website, graftoncommunitylibrary.org.
Please send resumes to the Search Committee at firstname.lastname@example.org by January 20, 2020.
TOWN OF BALLSTON COMMUNITY LIBRARY
- Youth Services Department
- 3 Month Duration – Extension Possible
General Statement of Duties:
Under the supervision of the Library Director of the Town of Ballston Community Library this position focuses on providing library services to children and teens ages 0-18. Participates in library leadership team.
Provides library service to children, teens and adults, including managing a busy Youth Services room; prepares for and conducts story times and other youth programs; assists in maintaining the department’s collections; promotes use of library materials and services; performs outreach to schools and community agencies as needed; oversees a robust summer reading program; and performs other duties as assigned. Responsible for the library supervision in the absence of the Director and Head of Adult Services Librarian.
Required Skills and Abilities:
Passion for and knowledge of children’s and young adult literature; familiarity with current library technologies; the ability to perform both independently and as a team member; experience in planning and conducting children’s programming; excellent customer service and communication skills; enthusiasm, courtesy, flexibility and a sense of humor.
Knowledge of Polaris integrated library system, WordPress, Evanced/SignUp calendar software, Beanstack Reading Challenge software, and Microsoft Publisher.
A Master’s Degree in Librarianship from a library school that is accredited by the American Library Association or registered by the NYS Education Department AND two (2) years of professional library experience.
Eligibility for New York State Public Librarian’s Professional Certificate at the time of application for appointment. Possession of certificate at the time of appointment.
Work Schedule: 35 hours a week, including Monday evenings and rotating Saturdays. Expected start of March 2020.
Deadline: Until filled
Please submit cover letter, resume and three professional references to:
Colleen E. Smith, Director
Town of Ballston Community Library
2 Lawmar Lane
Burnt Hills, NY 12027
(518) 399-8174 ext. 301
Position Description: Public Engagement & Education Consultant
A full-time professional position that contributes to making the Mohawk Valley Library System and its member libraries models for public engagement, customer service and community outreach.
General Statement of Duties:
The MVLS Public Engagement and EducationConsultant works with public libraries in Fulton, Montgomery, Schenectady and Schoharie counties and with a variety of social service and community agencies in these counties, contributing toward library public services supporting the following public engagement and outreach goals:
- Members of all population groups recognize the public library as an asset for promoting the public good through education, recreation and collaboration.
- Members of agencies that serve specialized population groups recognize the library as a valued partner and ally.
- Community leaders celebrate and advocate for the vital role that the library plays in serving all community populations.
Typical Work Activities (Illustrative Only):
- Makes frequent visits to member libraries to keep current on needs, activities, and trends
- Encourages member libraries to identify and remove barriers to library use
- Helps all member libraries improve customer service
- Promotes robust community engagement by member libraries
- Researches, develops and administers grants that promote public engagement goals
- Initiates and maintains effective working relationships with community agencies, especially those that serve specialized populations
- Plans and presents training sessions and workshops to member libraries and other groups on outreach, community engagement and customer service topics
- Cooperates with library systems and other agencies on regional initiatives
- Participates in regional and statewide library advocacy efforts
- Plans and administers NYS’sCoordinated Outreach Program, Institutions and Corrections Programs and Adult Literacy Program, including preparing reports and evaluations
- Coordinates meetings of the Outreach Advisory Council and facilitates its initiatives
- MLS from an ALA-accredited library school and at least two (2) years of relevant experience
- Track record of developing and maintaining community partnerships
- Past success developing and delivering engaging presentations, facilitating meetings, and training diverse audiences
- Excellent verbal, written, and visual communication skills, with the ability to tailor messages to target audiences
- Demonstrated commitment to customer service and equitable provision of services
- Willingness to work a flexible schedule to meet member libraries’ needs
- Tact and courtesy in dealing with employees, clients, member libraries, and the public
- Able to work effectively individually and in a team-based environment
- Valid NYS driver’s license required
Starting at $56,694 with required education and experience; benefits include health insurance, NYS retirement etc.
The Mohawk Valley Library System is an equal opportunity employer. Reasonable accommodations will be provided for people with disabilities.
Apply by resume to:
EricTrahan, Director, Mohawk Valley Library System, 858 Duanesburg Road, Schenectady, New York 12306. email: email@example.com
Deadline for Applications: Friday, February 21, 2020