A list of jobs and employment opportunities at libraries throughout the Southern Adirondack Library System.
Argyle Free Library–Library Director Job Description
The Library Director serves as the Chief Executive Officer of the Library and is responsible for the administration of all library functions within the goals, guidelines and policies established by
the Library Board of Trustees. This responsibility includes the organization and dissemination of information and servicesthrough the effective utilization of library resources. The Director is also responsible for the facilities, financial management and personnel of the Library, under the governance and oversight of the Board. The Director is expected to provide a leadership role within the library, the community, and the library profession. The Director serves as the official representative of the Library. This is a part-time position, 20 hours per week.
Minimum Qualifications: MUST have two years of college study in any field, per NY State law
Library work experience; experience coordinating with local organizations to develop community programs; comfortable with maintaining library website and developing library presence on other media, such as Facebook and Twitter; some management experience.
General Administration and Financial Management
a. Make policy recommendations to the Board of Trustees
b. Implement policies and procedures
c. Submit a timely proposed budget
d. Monitor expenditures
e. Provide monthly financial planning information to assist in establishing both short term and long term priorities
f. Provide orientation and resources to new Trustees and Employees
g. Manage employees, provide training for employees as needed, and coordinate their schedules
h. Direct the maintenance of the library building and grounds, and recommend future space needs and reorganization of library areas
i. Establish and maintain a staff manual of library procedures
j. Provide leadership, take initiative, solve problems, and effect change through development and encouragement of staff
k. Research community needs, and plan and implement programs to support these needs
l. Attend all Board of Trustee meetings, and ensure Trustees are aware of Southern Adirondack Library System (SALS) and other communications in a timely fashion
m. Develop and maintain the library website and social media
n. Evaluate the effectiveness of the library collection and order materials (books, periodicals, movies, etc.) to support community needs
o. Maintain an orderly and usable library catalog, in accordance with current library and SALS requirements
p. Provide customer service, build relationships with community organizations, and provide an environment that is aligned with that of the Board and AFL policies.
q. Other duties, as assigned.
Work and Physical Requirements
a. Duties require periods of standing, sitting, walking and carrying weight up to 30 pounds
b. Public speaking
c.Provide own transportation to work-related meetings, workshops, conferences, etc.
d. Occasional Saturday and evening hours as needed (board meetings, special events, etc)
Please send cover letter and resume to Argyle Free Library Personnel Committee, PO Box 238,
Argyle, NY 12809
Full Description Here: http://argylelibrary.sals.edu/?p=1538
Library Director, Voorheesville Public Library
Description: Voorheesville Public Library seeks a team leader who can work together with an experienced staff, the board, an active friends group, and community groups to make sure that the library understands and meets the needs of the Voorheesville Central School District community now and in the future. A school district library serving a population of 7.200 full time residents, the Voorheesville Public Library has a voter approved operating budget of $1,179,890. The library is part of the Upper Hudson Library System. The anticipated start date for the position is October 1, 2018.
Responsibilities of the position include, but are not limited to:
- Develop and recommend an annual budget to the Board of Trustees and present the budget to the community for approval
- Manage the library budget by monitoring expenditures
- Recommend policies and advise the Board on operational, fiscal, staffing, and facilities matters
- Work collaboratively with staff to ensure that the materials selected and the services provided meet the needs of the community
- Determine staffing requirements and hire personnel to meet those requirements.
- Make presentations to the public, government entities, and the Board
- Prepare, present, and implement long range goals and plans for the improvement or expansion of library facilities and information technology resources
- Represent the library in the community and governmental, organizational and professional activities
- Delegate responsibilities to provide a smooth day-to-day operation of the library
- This is an Albany County competitive civil service position. Candidates must have taken the Albany County Civil Service Library Director III exam, or be willing to accept provisional status until an exam can be taken.
- Masters in Library/Information Science from an ALA accredited university
- Must have or be eligible for the NYS Public Librarian Professional Certificate
- The ideal candidate must also possess excellent interpersonal and communication skills. Salary begins at $70,000 and is commensurate with experience. A generous benefits package is included. The library is a part of the NYS retirement system.
To apply: qualified candidates please send your résumé and cover letter with 3 references electronically to firstname.lastname@example.org. Applications will be accepted until the position is filled. Application review will begin on August 20, 2018.