The Southern Adirondack Library System (SALS), a cooperative public library system in upstate New York, is looking for a dynamic, energetic, self-starter to fill the position of Technology and Community Youth Services Librarian. SALS coordinates programs and activities to complement the resources and assist efforts of 34 member libraries in Hamilton, Saratoga, Warren and Washington counties. SALS collaborates with the Mohawk Valley Library System to provide automation and technology services to an eight-county area.
All system work is done to help the member libraries provide the best services to their communities. A successful candidate will be able to work independently, collaboratively, and manage multiple responsibilities. The candidate will instruct and inspire adult learners, communicate well and work collaboratively with the system and member library staff and trustees. The position requires attendance at meetings at various locations throughout New York State.
Qualifications & Skills
- MLS Degree from an ALA accredited library and information sciences graduate program. 3 to 5 years’ experience in a public, consortia or equivalent library preferred.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills that exemplify customer service.
- Experience instructing adult learners.
- Knowledge of current library trends, specifically within youth services and technology.
- Proficiency with new and emerging technologies, as well as Microsoft Office applications and WordPress. Knowledge of design software highly desirable.
- Must hold a valid driver’s license.
- Develops and delivers system-wide training and continuing education programs to keep member library staff, trustees and volunteers up-to-date with technologies essential for the delivery of cutting-edge public library service.
- Maintains the SALS’ web presence and assists member library staff with Web sites as needed.
- Assists member library staff and trustees with community needs assessments to identify early literacy, youth and teen needs, in order to create tailored services and programs to address identified needs.
- Establishes collective partnerships with key stakeholders in the SALS service area, statewide and nationally.
- Creatively promotes library services, values and the profession.
- Researches, develops, and writes grants to support SALS and member library community needs.
- Fosters an environment within the system and member libraries where innovation and excellence thrive.
- Participates in system and member library advocacy efforts.
- Participation in state and national organizations is expected.
Compensation and benefits:
The Southern Adirondack Library System offers a competitive compensation and benefits package, including:
- Health/Medical Insurance
- Optical Plan
- Flexible Spending Accounts
- NY State Retirement
- NYS Deferred Compensation Plan 457b
- Leave Benefits
How to Apply
Applications will be accepted until June 2, 2017; interviews may be scheduled during the ALA Annual Conference in Chicago.
Competitive salary commensurate with experience begins at $48,000.
Interested applicants may submit their resume, examples of instruction or presentations, and cover letter to:
Email Sara Dallas, Director